WISE UP to Universal Credit
Universal Credit is a new benefit that is being introduced in stages. It is for people of working age, in or out of work, designed to top up their income to a minimum level. Universal Credit will eventually replace Housing Benefit and certain other benefits for people who are out of work as well as tax credits for people in work.
Read this Universal Credit leaflet to prepare yourself for a smooth transfer onto UC.
Anyone making a new claim for the following benefits after the start date for your postcode area:
• Housing Benefit
• Income Based JSA
• Income Support
• Child Tax Credits
• Income Based ESA
• Working Tax Credits
You may also be affected if you claim the above benefits and your circumstances change in one of these ways:
• You work more or less hours • You have a new child • Your partner moves in • You separate from your partner
• You are a single parent and your youngest child turns 5 • You start or stop being a carer
• You move to an area where Universal Credit is in place • You attend court or jury service
• You are held on remand in prison • You stop full time education • You are assessed as being too sick to work
How will it affect me?
• You will have to claim and provide all information online
• You will not receive any monies for the first week
• There is a minimum 6 week wait for claims to be processed, and you will not get any money paid to you in this time
• You will have to pay us your rent, if you claim Housing Benefit it will not be paid to us by the council any longer and you will need a bank account
What do I need to do?
• Start paying a small amount each month on top of your rent, to build up some rent in advance so you are covered while you wait for your money to be paid – if you pay this by Direct Debit you will be eligible for our WISE reward scheme and could earn up to £60 a year!
• Set up a “My Account” online and get used to managing your tenancy online - ask us if you need help getting online, we can help!
If anyone would like any help or more information, please contact our income team on 0300 100 1012.