What does 'Universal Credit' mean for me?

Universal Credit is a new benefit that is being introduced in stages. It is for people of working age, in or out of work, designed to top up their income to a minimum level. Universal Credit replaces Housing Benefit and certain other benefits for people who are out of work as well as tax credits for people in work.

Read this Universal Credit leaflet to prepare yourself for a smooth transfer onto UC.U

Who is affected?

Anyone making a new claim for the following benefits after the start date for your postcode area:

• Housing Benefit     Universal Credit leaflet

• Income Based JSA  

• Income Support    

• Child Tax Credits

• Income Based ESA  

• Working Tax Credits

You may also be affected if you claim the above benefits and your circumstances change.

 How will it affect me?

• You will have to claim and provide all information online

• There is a minimum 5 week wait for claims to be processed, and you will not get any money paid to you in this time

• You will have to pay us your rent, if you claim Housing Benefit it will not be paid to us by the council any longer and you will need a bank account

What do I need to do?

• Start paying a small amount each month on top of your rent, to build up some rent in advance so you are covered while you wait for your money to be paid.

• Set up a “My Account” online and get used to managing your tenancy online - ask us if you need help getting online! Set up a MyAccount and you will be entered into a monthly prize draw for either a £100 Love2Shop reward or £150 placed in a credit union savings account for you.

If anyone would like any help or more information, please contact our advisers on 0300 100 1010.