Pets policy and form

Westward's policy on giving permission for pets

Keeping pets leaflet Our Pet Policy can be read here in full and states: 'Westward recognises the benefits that responsible pet ownership can bring. However, controls must be in place to prevent irresponsible pet ownership which can cause suffering to animals and a nuisance to neighbours'.

Our Keeping Pets guide applies to both new and existing residents, whether you are thinking about getting a pet or if you have had a pet for some time. It is also helpful for those having problems with a neighbour’s pet.

These are the areas covered in this leaflet:

  • Our policy on giving permission
  • How to apply to keep a pet
  • The law and pet ownership
  • What your tenancy agreement says about pets
  • General advice on responsible pet ownership
  • What constitutes nuisance behaviour by a pet
  • What to do if you are having problems with a neighbour’s pet
  • What action Westward can take concerning nuisance pets
  • What action to take in the case of cruelty or neglect
  • Useful contacts for advice and assistance


We will give permission in most cases. However, certain types of pet are not permitted, these are: farm animals - for example, sheep, goats, pigs, cattle, horses, chickens, ducks.

Animals which should be licensed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 - a list of animals requiring a license under the Act can be obtained from the website of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) at or from ourselves.

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 – Pit Bull Terrier, Dodo Argentino, Fila Braziliero and Japenese Tosa are only permitted if a resident has obtained a certificate of exemption from the courts.

To find out more, visit

Permission will not be granted for a dog or cat where the household already has either 2 dogs or 2 cats, or a dog and a cat.

Permission may not be granted where there is an ongoing problem with pet ownership in the household, or there has been a problem in the past.

Applying to keep a pet

We do not expect you to apply for permission to keep a goldfish! However you do need to seek permission for most types of pet, including cats, dogs, caged animals such as hamsters, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits, birds (both those kept inside and outside your home), reptiles, insects and aquariums. If you are in doubt, please ask.

You need to complete the Pet Permission Form below, where you provide details of the pet and agree to be responsible for the pet to ensure it does not cause a nuisance to neighbours.

Hoping to have a pet? Fill in our form for permission.

Please provide details for your pet request below

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory

Please complete the simple question below so we can block any spam.