This standard was reviewed and re-written after our customer scruitng group's review on voids (empty homes).
Doors and windows
- Ensure safe operation; repair or replace if in dangerous condition.
- Ensure all are in a good state of repair, open/close as required. Ease/repair as necessary.
- Re-glaze broken or cracked glass. Damaged or misted double glazed units may be replaced after letting if made safe.
- All windows above Ground floor should have restrictors fitted and in working order.
- All external doors will have a lock in working order.
- The main entrance door will have a letterbox (if not possible then a box shall be provided) and a house number and will be in good decorative order.
- Any glass in doors should be safety glass.
- All door bells whether battery or hard wired should be removed.
Kitchen and bathroom
- Provide wipeable splashback to sink, basin, worktop, and bath. If shower in place splashback to ceiling.
- Kitchen units will be in good working order and adjusted as required; doors/drawer fronts may vary.
- Provide space for a cooker to meet regulations (minimum 600mm), washing machine and fridge/freezer where required. In some schemes, washing machine spaces may not be required.
- Provide an electric point and/or gas point for cooker connection.
- Check pipes and fittings for leaks and repair as necessary. Locate and identify stopcock.fan
- Replace plug and chain to basin, bath and all sinks if required.
- Ensure that bathrooms have a bath and/or shower, wash hand basin and WC, in good working order.
- Replace cracked or excessively stained baths, showers, toilets, and wash hand basin.
- Replace toilet seats and ensure toilet operates correctly.
- Mastic seal to be in place and free from stains.
- Humidity controlled Extractor fans should be provided. Where in place existing should be cleaned and serviced to ensure full working order.
Walls, floors and ceilings
- Make good any major defects to plasterwork/finishes to walls and ceilings.
- Repair or replace damaged floorboards/floor tiles.
- Replace Vinyl sheet in Kitchen and bathroom if in poor condition or not slip resistant.
- If floor coverings are in good condition, then leave ready to be gifted to the incoming tenant. Clean carpets if required so they may be left.
- Laminate or wood flooring can remain if in good condition other than in flats/maisonettes above ground floor where it should be removed on the ground of preventing noise nuisance.
- Anti-vibration mats are to be fitted into the washing machine space to prevent noise nuisance in all properties with a kitchen above ground floor.
- Ensure all floors are reasonably level and ready for new floor covering.
- Replace missing skirting and architrave.
- All picture hooks, drawing pins, Sellotape and blue tack will be removed from walls and holes filled ready for decorating.
- Curtain Battens will be fitted above all windows.
- Polystyrene tiles and coving will be removed from ceilings and the areas made good and left ready for decorating or decorated as agreed.
Gas and electric
- Undertake Gas and electric safety checks and provide certificate.
- Undertake Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) as required for westward owned appliances.
- Remove standalone (open flue) gas fires if central heating is installed.
- Block any open fireplaces with blockwork with a plastered finish.
- Space Heating will be provided for all rooms and in working condition.
- Meter cupboards should be in good condition.
- Property will be left in good decorative order.
- Where decoration is poor, decoration vouchers will be offered.
- If the property is in such condition that it is unreasonable to expect incoming customer to re-decorate, we will redecorate.
- OPS & Supported housing will be in a good decorative order. If in poor condition, redecorate as directed (as defined by Supported Housing Manager).
- The property will be clean and tidy to include:
- Clean Kitchen units inside and out/work surfaces
- Clean any Westward owned appliances such as fridges and cookers.
- Wipe clean all sockets, switches and pendants.
- Clean window frames and sills
- Wipe clean Wall tiles.
- Stains/Mould removed from all surfaces.
- Clean kitchen sink, drainer, and taps
- Dust and clean doors, skirting boards and radiators
- Floors swept and free of debris and mopped.
- Clean bathroom suite, including shower chairs.
- Remove all cobwebs.
- Remove junk mail.
- Vacuum carpets and clean if required.
- Clean all furniture owned by Westward.
- All windows on ground floor to be cleaned inside and out including frames and glazing.
- All windows above ground floor to be cleaned inside including frames and glazing.
- Woodwork/radiators will be washed down and be free of dust and mould.
- Provide two sets of front/back door keys and two sets of keys to any communal entrance. In Supported housing, keys to be provided to Housing Worker.
- Carry out visual inspections to check for structural stability and other health and safety issues via the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- Provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) where one is not available
- Ensure hard wired smoke/CO alarms are in place, in date and in working order and meet BS5839 LD2 as a minimum.
- Remove or make safe any damaged asbestos.
- Where asbestos is in good condition, ensure it is safe and continue to monitor.
- Treat visible infestation of insects/Pests
- Loft insulation will comply with latest Building Regulations
- Provide location, serial number and Read meters for gas, electric and water at start and end of void period.
- Clear loft space
- Roofs/Chimneys/flashings will be watertight, structurally sound and fit for purpose.
- Repair or replace any leaking rainwater guttering or downpipes.
- Ensure that paths, fences and gates are in reasonable condition and do not present any health and safety hazard. Patios/decking should be made safe from trip hazards prior to being gifted to the incoming customer.
- All grass areas to be trimmed to a manageable level.
- Bushes/trees will be cut back to a manageable level.
- All air brick vents to be checked for obstructions and cleared if necessary.
- Remove any dangerous structures such as sheds, greenhouses, and garages.
- Clear the property and garden of all rubbish.
- Ponds - Remove wildlife, drain and infill with soil.
- Remove decorative features unless the incoming customers wishes to be gifted them for example dado rail, shelving, wall cupboards, mirrors.
Works for completion after occupation
- We will let the customer know if any minor works are outstanding and agree when these will be completed.
- We will let the customer know of any planned future improvement work in the property.