Equality, diversity and inclusion
Westward is committed to treating all people with fairness and respect.
We aim to actively help remove barriers and open doors for our customers and staff and foster good relations within the communities we serve.
We are an organisation delivering fair accessible services and an employer and partner of choice.
In promoting equality, we respect the protected characteristics identified by the Equality Act: age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.
We hold personal information about our customers, board members, staff and involved residents; this helps us to consider the impact of our services, policy and actions on different groups within the community. This information is kept confidential and in accordance with our data protection policy. You can also view and update your personal information which we hold, via MyAccount .
To request any document in large print, Braille or other languages please just let us know.
These are some useful links:
Age-focused specialist agencies
- Age UK is the charity formed from Age Concern and Help the Aged
- Employers Forum on Age (EFA) challenges age discrimination and promotes age diversity in the workplace.
- Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) helpline advises and assists individuals on issues relating to equality and human rights across England, Scotland and Wales.
- Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is Great Britain’s national equality body which has been awarded an ‘A’ status as a National Human Rights Institution (NHRI) by the United Nations. They use their unique powers to challenge discrimination, promote equality of opportunity and protect human rights.
- Pensions and retirement planning – GOV.UK is a practical guide to advice, support and services available through government and voluntary organisations for people aged 50 and over.
- UKYOUTH is a leading national charity committed to ensuring all young people are empowered to build bright futures, regardless of their background or circumstances.
Disability-focused specialist agencies
- Support and advice to remain living in your own home | Devon County Council for independent living support.
- Help to stay living at home - Cornwall Council for adult care services and options available to support independent living.
- Devon Carers support network in Devon for carers.
- Information for carers - Cornwall Council
- Helpline | Disability charity Scope UK provides free, independent and impartial advice and support on issues that matter to disabled people and their families.
- Social care and support guide - NHS for guidance on social care and support for those needing help with day-to-day living because of illness or disability.
- Help and advice on caring - Carers UK Support for those who care for people living with disability or illness.
- Learning Disability Support Services | Mencap learning disability support service with helpline that provides personal support and advice across a range of areas including benefits, employment and housing.
- Browse: Benefits and financial support if you're disabled or have a health condition - GOV.UK for benefits and financial support options available from public funding.
- Disability Service Centre - GOV.UK contact details for the DSC who manage all claims for benefits or financial support.
- Money, work, benefits and social care - NHS for guidance on how to pay for care and support, and where you can get help with costs.
- Legal rights | Mind, the mental health charity legal rights relating to mental health problems.
- Disability discrimination in schools - Citizens Advice on disability discrimination in schools in relation to Equality Act 2010.
- How we can help | Disability Rights UK campaign group dealing with disability rights issues, with an umbrella over several specific support helplines.
- Disability rights - GOV.UK government guide on disability rights to protect against discrimination.
Gender reassignment-focused specialist agencies
- www.lgbtqyouthcornwall.co.uk - YAY! Young and Yourself! LGBTQ Youth Cornwall is for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and questioning young people who are aged up to 25 years living, working attending school or college or visiting Cornwall.
- Gender identity | DPT - support via Devon Partnership Trust.
- www.intercomtrust.org.uk south west charity that provides local professional community support and advocacy for LGBT and non-binary people and their families, and training and consultancy on LGBT and NB issues.
- www.schools-out.org.uk with the aim to make schools safe and inclusive for everyone, offering both a formal and informal support network for all people who want to raise the issue of homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and heterosexism in education.
- www.genderedintelligence.co.uk is a community interest company that delivers arts programmes, creative workshops, mentoring, training and youth group sessions to trans-youth (under the age of 25).
- www.gires.org.uk - Gender Identity Research and Education Society - a national body that examines the science around gender and transgender individuals and produces a wide range of resources for schools and other public bodies, including a toolkit on combating transphobic bullying and an e-learning package.
- www.mermaidsuk.org.uk is a national charity that connects and supports young trans-people and their families.
- www.tavistockandportman.nhs.uk search under: gender identity - The Tavistock and Portman Clinic - for children and young people (up to the age of 18) and their families experiencing difficulties in the development of their gender identity including children unhappy with their biological sex.
- www.lgbtconsortium.org.uk a national membership organisation focusing on the development and support of LGBT groups, projects and organisations, so they can deliver direct services and campaign for individual rights. Provides a directory of agencies across the UK.
- The Beaumont Society | Help and support for the transgendered community supports mainly M2F trans people and their families and friends
- www.ilga.org - International Lesbian and Gay Association on LGB&TI issues.
- www.lgbthatecrime.org.uk provides advice and support to increase the reporting of LGBT hate crime in the UK.
- http://www.ftmlondon.org.uk/ Support to all female-to-males who may be early in considering gender identity, living long-term as a trans guy or simply exploring options.
- http://gendertrust.org.uk/ a listening ear, caring support and an information centre for anyone with any question or problem concerning their gender identity, or whose loved one is struggling with gender identity issues.
- http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/ for children and teenagers who have gender identity problems, their families, friends and carers.
Marriage and civil partnership-focused agencies
Pregnancy and maternity-focused agencies
- Pregnancy and Birth: health and wellbeing | Care and Support in Cornwall Support throughout pregnancy and birth.
- Maternity Services | - Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
- Maternity and child birth - Devon CCG maternity services for women and their families in Devon, including care from midwives and clinicians antenatally, through birth and to the postnatal period after you have had your baby.
- Pregnant women and new mothers | DPT specialist community service to women living in Devon and Torbay.
- Maternity Service (plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk)
- Maternity | Gingerbread maternity as a single parent.
- Home page - PANDAS Foundation UK post natal depression - offers hope, empathy and support for every parent or network affected by perinatal mental illness.
- Unplanned pregnancy - Pregnancy Crisis Helpline a safe and confidential place to talk through your situation.
- Stillbirth - What happens if your unborn baby dies - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Pregnancy and maternity in the workplace | Equality and Human Rights Commission (equalityhumanrights.com)
- Pregnancy and maternity leave discrimination: your rights | NCT
- Health is not just about health services - Maternity Action rights and advice during pregnancy
- Shared Parental Leave and Pay: Eligibility for birth parents - GOV.UK
- Pregnant and Homeless: A Guide to Pregnancy Support | Centrepoint to guide you through options and services available.
- Help if you're homeless: pregnant women - Shelter England if you’re having a baby and are homeless, get help finding a place to stay.
Race-focused specialist agencies
- Ethnically Diverse Communities – Directory of Services for Devon
- Plymouth & Devon Racial Equality Council
- Diversity Guide - Race/Ethnicity - Equality and Diversity (devon.gov.uk)
- Race - ethnicity, national origins, race or colour (devon.gov.uk)
- TravellerSpace – Supporting Gypsies and Travellers in Cornwall and the South West (travellerspace-cornwall.org)
- Devon and Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly | Stop Hate UK
- Gypsies and Travellers - Education and Families (devon.gov.uk)
- Black South West Network
Religion or Belief-focused specialist support
- Culture, spirituality and religion: migrant health guide - GOV.UK
- Your right to freedom of religion and belief - Citizens Advice
- The Civil Service faith and belief toolkit - GOV.UK
- The Inter Faith Network (IFN)
- Local Inter Faith Groups- South West - The Inter Faith Network (IFN) - southwest groups
- Exeter – Jewish Small Communities Network (jscn.org.uk)
- Religious festivals - Resources - The Inter Faith Network (IFN)
Sex/Gender-focused specialist agencies
- Equality and Human Rights Commission - Sex Discrimination clear legal guide.
- Gender Equality Monitor report 2020 by government.
- Britain thinks it has won the gender equality war Interesting article with some data.
- The gender pay gap | ActionAid UK reports.
- Gender Equality Index UK 2020 | European Institute for Gender Equality (europa.eu)
Sexual orientation-focused specialist agencies
- https://www.victimcaredevonandcornwall.org.uk/Victim-Support/Intercom-Trust/ provides a confidential helpline, support and advocacy for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in Cornwall and Devon.
- LGBTQ+ Project – Devon Sexual Health
- Home (lgbtqyouthcornwall.co.uk) youth group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and questioning young people up to the age of 25 who live, work or who are visiting, at school or college in Cornwall.
- Sexuality (supportline.org.uk) provides a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue. Also provides advice on sexuality.
- Help & Advice | Stonewall information and support for LGBTQ communities - they stand for lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer, questioning and ace (LGBTQ+) people everywhere.
- Help for mental health problems if you're LGBTQ - NHS support for LGBTQ communities.
- RU-COMING-OUT gives advice and inspirational stories for those who want to come out.
- FFLAG is a voluntary organisation dedicated to supporting parents and families and their LGBT+ members.
- Sexual orientation, UK - Office for National Statistics
- Sexual Orientation Support - Help to Heal
- Gender dysphoria - How to get help and support - NHS